RFC: recording strategy on timer conflicts

Christian Wieninger schrieb:

>Hi,
>
>I'm currently working on a tool that checks for timer conflicts and became
>aware of the following problem:
>
>Suppose you have the following 3 timers on a system with two DVB cards:
>
>nr. transponder - start - priority
>1. A - 20:10 - 45
>2. B - 20:10 - 5
>3. C - 20:11 - 50
>
>A,B,C are different transponders. VDR will start recording from transponder A
>at 20:10 with device 2. The same for transponder B with device 1.
>At 20:11 we have a conflict and IMHO VDR should stop timer 2 and start timer 3
>on device 1.
>But when I check the logs the following occures:
>VDR first stops timer 1 on device 2 and starts timer 3 on device 2. Then it
>recognizes the pending timer 1 with higher priority than the running timer 2
>and stops this one. So in the end all is fine, but there is a small break
>about 1-2 seconds in recording 1.
>The problem is, that cDevice::GetDevice handles the two devices in this case
>with the same priority and therefore returns the device with the highest
>number. I think one could fix this with a small change (patch against 1.4.0
>is attached), but the whole thing is really complicated and I do not have a
>real deep insight in the side effects ;-) , so perhaps you could give a
>comment on this.

Was this the case also with older VDR-versions? I always thought that
VDR behaves the way you also expected and avoids interrupting a
recording ...

I don't have a in depth look into this code either, but shouldn't
cDevice::GetDevice already only prefer device 1 (the one recording timer
2). As it loops through the devices it should give device 1 the priority
5 and as it comes to device 2 it should evaluate it to priority 7, as
Priority of the device 2 is not smaller than the Priority of device 1
(which is one of the conditions for priority 5).
Is that right, or am I missing something here? But why does VDR stop
both timers?

Bye,
Andreas Brugger