Problem with LiveBuffer and vdr-xine

On 4/2/06, Reinhard Nissl <rnissl@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,

> >> it

> >>  >>
> >> applied:

> you

> >> is
> problem.
> >> View
> >> don't
> >>
> >> Hhm, it seems that it is not that easy to find a proper solution. Maybe
> >> cDevice::Transferring() could be patched to return true when
> >> LiveBuffer's reader and writer are almost at the same position (delta ~
> >> 8 frames) and to return false otherwise.
> >
> > I don't know vdr-xine, so why is it neccessary to distinguish between
> LiveTV
> > and a recording. And why does fast forward / backward doesn't work
> correctly
> > when you in LiveTV mode?
> >
> > Patching cDevice::Transferring() the way you suggested shouldn't be much
> of
> > a problem. But this behaviour doesn't seem to me very logical.
>
> xine wants to read data on demand which is possible for sources like
> DVDs, files on disk and VDR recordings sent via vdr-xine.
>
> But on demand access is not possible for LiveTV as the satellite
> broadcasts at a constant data rate. Seeking forward to catch up with
> replaying will most likely result in a buffer underflow.
>
> That's why I distinguish between LiveTV and recording and establish a
> buffer in LiveTV mode, which allows little seeks and other on demand
> burst accesses. The average input / output rate should typically be equal.
>
> The buffer is reestablished when VDR clears the device and that's why
> moving forward / backward gets quite sluggish. Buffering is not
> necessary in this case as VDR can honor all on demand requests.
>
> Bye.
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
> mailto:rnissl@xxxxxx

HI,

I was wondering if there had been anything done with this to date.The thread
here just kind of ends with a defined problem and no solution.

 I have channel changes working correctly with buffer size manipulations but
the initial start of xine is a slideshow until pause is initiated and
released to create an additional buffer. Increasing the buffers in setup
does not seem to make a difference on the initial startup. It appears that
there is a difference in the way the buffer is handled on startup as opposed
to a channel change.

I have been working with both Vdr-1.3.44 and vdr-1.3.47 with the xine
plugins v0.7.8 and v.0.7.9. The problem exists in either combination.
Livebuffer is 0.1.7 included with the bigpatch.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kurt