MP3/MPlayer pre-release

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:21:35 +0000 (UTC)
s.huelswitt@xxxxxx (Stefan Huelswitt) wrote:

> On 07 Apr 2006 Niko Mikkila <nm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:43:18 +0000 (UTC)
> > s.huelswitt@xxxxxx (Stefan Huelswitt) wrote:

> >> This is NOT true.
> >>

> > Ok, so how is the OSD drawn? It doesn't work with Dxr3 output either.
>
> It's drawn the same way any other VDR OSD is drawn.
> Of course it's tested with DVB output only, so I cannot comment
> on dxr3 output.
> And there are some prerequisites, see my answer to Soeren.

I doubt VDR OSD has currently any chance of working along with MPlayer
for anything else than the FF cards. That's because usually MPlayer
either uses a different output window than the process that displays
VDR's OSD, or MPlayer reserves the output device so that nothing can be
drawn on top unless it is done through MPlayer itself. Apparently the
FF cards let multiple processes write to the OSD layer (or MPlayer is
set to not use the OSD), but for Dxr3, the Dxr3 plugin closes its
output completely while MPlayer is running to let MPlayer access the
device.

With the various X output methods, it would also be possible to
overlay an OSD window on top of the MPlayer window, but the Xine plugin
does not support that since its OSD is drawn by Xine. Also softdevice
suffers from the same issue. Of course, using MPlayer with these
software decoders has other problems too, which is why there are
alternative systems for video file playback.

--Niko