linking multiple VDRs (was: viewing budget via FF, probably stupid question ...)

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> would it be possible to use that "transfer mode"
> to link several VDRs across hosts? i.e. have
> several machines with a number of DVBs cards,
> which basically act as a single vdr machine?

I like this idea.
Would it not be nice if I could simply put all
my DVB cards into one (big, loud, ugly) VDR
server  machine in the attic close to the dish
and still use vdr on all PCs in the network in
exactly the same way?

If a machine cannot receive a particular channel,
it should still allow me to watch it (just find
a machine in the network that can zap to that
channel without interrupting anything).

If a machine cannot record a particular channel,
it should still allow me to program a timer (just
forward it to a machine in the network that can
record it).

Is there a plugin already that does this kind of
stuff?

If not, I wonder if it would be hard to do.

Would it not be enough to simply forward timer
entries to the server via SVDRP and do everything
else via NFS? Even live viewing can be implemented
this way, simply by creating a temporary timer and
playing back on the client machine what the server
has just recorded.

Carsten.