which tv-out card?

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:23:44 +0100
Stefan Lucke <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Dienstag, 15. November 2005 01:44, Niko Mikkila wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:49:07 +0000
>
> > Luckily the interlaced CRT televisions are being phased out and soon we'll
> > only have nice progressive panels and projectors. Just waiting for the
> > 1080p @ 50Hz broadcasts ;)
>
> Damm, that mode will be 1080i. Interlaced. 25fps with 2 fields.
> So interlacing vs. deinterlacing starts again :-( .

Indeed, that's why I used the smiley. Considering the advances in
lossy video compression techniques, it is really mindboggling that
they are still pushing such an ancient motion compressing technique
that does more harm than good when used together with the modern
compression techniques, not to even mention that the displays are
progressive. I know H.264 supports interlacing, but I'm pretty sure
it is there only to please the broadcasters and people processing
interlaced video, not for actual efficiency reasons.

Well, with digital television standards things change more
rapidly than in the analogue age. Once they get HDTV rolling, it
may not take too long until 1080p@50fps is technically feasible.
Perhaps within 10 years we'll get it through internet -- no DVB
cards required. DRM is a bitch though.

--
Niko Mikkil?