softdevice with xv-plugin does not start

On Samstag, 12. November 2005 22:44, Andre Bischof wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stefan Lucke wrote:
> >>Nov 12 21:03:51 linux vdr[10465]: [XvVideoOut]: patch version (2005-07-20)
> >>Nov 12 21:03:51 linux vdr[10465]: [XvVideoOut]: Could not connect to
> >>X-server
> >

> > You have to start your X-server _before_ you may start vdr with
> > softdevice and xv out.
>
> The output above is from a term in kde, so I suppose the X-server should
> be running.

So vdr is running with another userid as you are logged in.
1. you need to set th DISPLAY variable (export DISPLAY=:0.0)
2. the user who wants to access your display needs permissions to do that
   For my tests, when running vdr from root I do sux which keeps
   authorisation to x-server contact.

> > For a client/server setup, you need streamdev plugin and connect
> > your client via streamdev to your server.
>
> Does that apply if client/server are running on the same machine?

You can do this even on the same machine.

> But the error appears anyway, or do you mean it should vanish when using
>   streamdev as additional plugin?

If you want to use vdr as a frontend / desktop application you don't
need streamdev.

> I'd like to use softdevice with a Geforce 6600 and TV-Out, if this could
> be better please tell me.
>
> In vdr-wiki is also written that softdevice does replace the
> mpeg2-decoder and outputs directly on a framebuffer, output could then
> be on a monitor or tv-out (for that part streamdev is needed?)

Streamdev if only needed for transferring the dvb data from one vdr to another.

Maybe that is of some help:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2005-October/005510.html

--
Stefan Lucke