xmltv2vdr timeout

Gregory Dudek wrote:

> The problem is that xmltv2vdr sets it's timeout
> for the whole EPG conversion process, I think. If your
> xmltv2vdr conversion takes along time (due to large files, slow
> computer, slow network connection, slow disk, etc.) then you can get a
> timeout.
>
> I think the problem can be fixed by editing the file xmltv2vdr.pl
> and making a minor edit to the function (subroutine) ProcessEpg.
> Look for ProcessEpg, and the look for the code below. The line
> "alarm($Timeout);"
> needs to be inserted. It resets the timeout counter after each line of
> the XML file
> is processed. (This is a bit excessive, but fixes the problem.)
>

> foreach $xmlline (@xmllines)
> {
> chomp $xmlline;
>
> alarm($Timeout);
> $xmlline=xmltvtranslate($xmlline);
>
> # New XML Program - doesn't handle split programs yet
>

> Greg
>

>> Message: 3
>> Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:13:53 +0100
>> From: tony <tony@xxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: xmltv2vdr timeout
>> To: Klaus Schmidinger's VDR <vdr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Now that ITV is FTA I have started updating my xmltv2vdr setup. I
>> updated xmltv to the latest version. I have removed all old files and am
>> using a correct channels.conf etc.
>>
>> My gb.xml file grabbed from radio times is 13 Mb and xmltv2vdr is timing
>> out on "Connect to SVDRP socket"
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tony
>> --
>> Tony Grant
>> www.tgds.net - vente d'ordinateurs mini-itx en ligne
>> www.tgds.net/epiaix1.html - A fedora Core 4 based live CD for VIA Epia-M

I've had the same time out problem. The solution was to use the
xmltv2vdr -t option.

By the way, I'm using a hacked version of xmltv2vdr.pl 1.0.6 - I added
support for event "sub-title" and append additional attributes such as
year and category to the description. A full description and the a link
to download the file is available here:

http://www.antezeta.it/xmltv2vdr.html

Sean