Timers and clock changes

I demand that Udo Richter may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt wrote:
>> There's a programme which starts at 1.10am BST and finishes at 1.10am GMT.
>> Trying to set a timer for it works (standard schedule list) *but* the
>> timer is only for 12 minutes, not 1h 12m. (Were it a repeating timer,
>> would it be triggered twice, one hour apart?)

(I should mention that that's 2 minutes before and 10 minutes after.)

> What exactly happens probably depends on whether your clock will be updated
> to the new time zone automatically, for ex. by epg clock.

localtime_r() and friends take care of the conversion, given suitable
timezone configuration; which is why VDR showed 1.10 for the start of that
programme and 1.10 for the start of the following programme.

> In any case it might be a good idea not to use the time between 2am and 3am
> as start or stop time for timers. Just record a bit more than needed.

Between 1am and 2am, surely ;-)

Storing the duration instead of the end time in timers.conf would get rid of
half of the problem. VPS may well get rid of it completely, but when I last
checked this, it didn't appear to be in use on Freeview.

Oh well, at least this particular problem only happens once a year. :-)

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

Money is the root of all wealth.