softdevice+softplay and ffmpeg

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:16:54 +0100, Tony Houghton wrote
> I tried the softdevice plugin today. It worked fairly well
> considering it hasn't really been designed to output to a TV, which
> has different sync requirements from a monitor. The A/V sync was
> close enough and there were few enough frame jumps to make it quite
watchable.

> However, softplay wouldn't work properly with the XVid files I tried,
> only showing a few corrupt frames.  I'm pretty sure it's an ffmpeg
> problem because there were similar problems with some things I've
> been doing myself with ffmpeg lately - I haven't got as far as
> displaying the frames, but it does seem to keep stalling while
> decoding and the Debian package version was complaining about "VOP
> not coded" all the time.

Which version of xvidcore are you using? The problem I have with softplay is
with a mpeg2 file that plays correctly with MPlayer using libmpeg2 but only
gives a black screen with corrupted audio on softplay. Start and stop works
ok.

> Anyway, I tried upgrading from the Debian libavcodec to the latest
> CVS, to make sure I don't annoy anyone if and when I report this
> problem on the ffmpeg mailing list, and then softdevice wouldn't
> work. It just shows a frozen picture with the initial OSD caption
> you get when starting to play a channel. softplay wouldn't compile
> either but I just needed to change . to -> in a few places.

I had problems compiling softdevice against ffmpeg CVS. I had to add -lavutil
in the Makefile. ( Just as info. )

> So will there be a new softdevice and softplay compatible with the
> latest ffmpeg soon?

I'm using soft[device|play] and ffmpeg, all CVS of 20050905. No problem with
freezing at all. Have you tried CVS of soft[device|play]?

Not that much of help I'm afraid but maybe some hints ;)

/Mel