softdevice+softplay and ffmpeg

I tried the softdevice plugin today. It worked fairly well considering
it hasn't really been designed to output to a TV, which has different
sync requirements from a monitor. The A/V sync was close enough and
there were few enough frame jumps to make it quite watchable.

However, softplay wouldn't work properly with the XVid files I tried,
only showing a few corrupt frames.  I'm pretty sure it's an ffmpeg
problem because there were similar problems with some things I've been
doing myself with ffmpeg lately - I haven't got as far as displaying the
frames, but it does seem to keep stalling while decoding and the Debian
package version was complaining about "VOP not coded" all the time.

Anyway, I tried upgrading from the Debian libavcodec to the latest CVS,
to make sure I don't annoy anyone if and when I report this problem on
the ffmpeg mailing list, and then softdevice wouldn't work. It just
shows a frozen picture with the initial OSD caption you get when
starting to play a channel. softplay wouldn't compile either but I just
needed to change . to -> in a few places.

So will there be a new softdevice and softplay compatible with the
latest ffmpeg soon?

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk