Compressing videos more than mpeg2

My VDR box is starting to fill up again - got about 450GB of edited video
now... Rather than buying another HDD  (or two!) I'm thinking of
re-compressing some stuff as xvid or mpeg4. I have a large TV so want to
avoid adding new compression artifacts as much as possible. I also want to
keep the interlaced format, framerate and different aspect ratios (may be
more than one per recording). Ideally I also want to make it integrate with
VDR properly, i.e. play back via the Recordings menu, has summary info etc.

I'm thinking that I'll need to do something like this:
i) Add a script to the reccmds.conf to recompress. I was hoping to use
transcode or mencoder libraries. However neither of these seem to support
keeping original aspects and my video knowledge is poor. I can remember I,P
and B frames, DCTs etc from Uni, but nothing beyond mpeg1 basics...
ii) For playback I think I'll need to write a plugin that detects
recompressed .vdr files and does on-the-fly transcode to mpeg1/2, so it can
be fed back into the DVB card. Maybe my best bet is modifying the mplayer
plugin so it fits in with the recording menu better? Trouble is mplayer
doesn't seem very intelligent about keeping aspects and stuff - I can't even
get it working with the plugin, never mind something like this!

Has anyone looked into this kind of thing? Does something already exist that
tackles this?

Thanks,

Mark