How to speed up vdr start ?

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 19:00, Christoph Hermanns wrote:
> Am Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:08:17 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Stefan Huelswitt
>
> <s.huelswitt@xxxxxx>:
> > On 07 Aug 2005 "Christoph Hermanns" <Christoph.Hermanns@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >> How can i speed up the starting of the dvb driver and vdr ?
> >
> > If you're using a FF dvb card, loading the firmware takes some
> > time.
> >
> > You can speed up this (or actually hide some time) if you don't
> > let runvdr load the driver but rather create an own startup
> > script to load the driver and run this one very first after boot
> > i.e. S01. You have to background (&) the make insmod call.
>
> Is this correct:
>
> 1. Comment out the start of dvb driver in runvdr:
>
> # Load driver if it hasn't been loaded already:
> #if [ $LSMOD -eq 0 ] ; then
> #   (cd $DVBDIR; make insmod)
> #   fi
>
> 2. Create new dvb-start.sh script (is the & at the right place ?):
> # Load driver if it hasn't been loaded already:
> if [ $LSMOD -eq 0 ] ; then
>     (cd $DVBDIR; &make insmod)
>     fi

You only moved the loading, but still load everything. What has to be done
is to only load those drivers that are really required. Have a look at the
insmod.sh script that comes in $DVBDIR, and remove all unneeded drivers
from the "start" stage in the script.

Other methods like using the kernel module loader sound technically
superior to me, but it might be not that easy for you, and the outcome (and
boot time) is probably the same.

--Stefan