How to speed up vdr start ?

On 09 Aug 2005 "Christoph Hermanns" <Christoph.Hermanns@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:08:17 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Stefan Huelswitt
> <s.huelswitt@xxxxxx>:
>
>> On 07 Aug 2005 "Christoph Hermanns" <Christoph.Hermanns@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> How can i speed up the starting of the dvb driver and vdr ?
>>
>> If you're using a FF dvb card, loading the firmware takes some
>> time.
>>
>> You can speed up this (or actually hide some time) if you don't
>> let runvdr load the driver but rather create an own startup
>> script to load the driver and run this one very first after boot
>> i.e. S01. You have to background (&) the make insmod call.
>>

> Is this correct:
>
> 1. Comment out the start of dvb driver in runvdr:
>
> # Load driver if it hasn't been loaded already:
> #if [ $LSMOD -eq 0 ] ; then
> #   (cd $DVBDIR; make insmod)
> #   fi
>
> 2. Create new dvb-start.sh script (is the & at the right place ?):
> # Load driver if it hasn't been loaded already:
> if [ $LSMOD -eq 0 ] ; then
>     (cd $DVBDIR; &make insmod)
>     fi

No, won't work that way.
One problems is, that if you background the make insmod, the boot
process continues while the firmware is loaded. If the rest of
the boot script is fast, you may end with the situation that vdr
starts up before the make insmod is finished.

So I do to load the driver (may be a own script. I do it in boot
directly) (you have to adjust the dvb driver path):

( touch /tmp/dvb-insmod; \
  cd /usr/local/source/dvb; make insmod;
  rm /tmp/dvb-insmod ) &

In runvdr I check for the existance of the trigger file:

while [ -a /tmp/dvb-insmod ]; do
  sleep1
  done

This way the vdr startup is delayd until the insmod is finished.
(may be there are mor sofisticated method to do this, but it
works).

> Question: If the dvb-driver hangs, will the restart be unaffected from
> this change ?
> (I think so, but i'll ask to be sure ;-)

No, the restart won't be affected.

Regards.

--
Stefan Huelswitt