Re: Reducing clutter in channels.conf

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 08:27 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Malcolm Caldwell wrote:

> The ca.conf file will soon be completely oboslete and removed.
>
> >>Certainly I think it would be a good idea on systems without any decryption
> >>devices to be able to elect to have a channels.conf that contains only FTA
> >>channels. For example, those of us who use DVB-S to receive BBC from Astra
> >>2 find our channels.conf totally cluttered with the Sky Channels which are
> >>encrypted using NDS Videocrypt for which there is absolutely no means of
> >>(legitimate) decryption without a Sky Digibox. I would like an option in
> >>setup.conf AddNewChannels=OnlyFTA.
> >>
> >>With regard to the perennial problem of garbage landing in channels.conf,
> >>how about reworking the "add channels" functions so that instead of landing
> >>directly in channels.conf new channels could first be sent to
> >>"candidates.conf", from which the user could manually select which channels
> >>to add permanently to channels.conf. A message could be displayed whenever
> >>VDR starts to the effect that "X new channels available - press OK to
> >>edit".
> >>
> >>Are these options that Klaus would consider adding?
> >

> > Two thoughts:
> >
> >      1. It might be useful just to have an option that says 'hide
> >         un-watchable channels' for the channels display (eg menu 2)
> >      2. Klaus has said that 1.4 will have a favorite channels option.
> >         Perhaps this will do what is needed
>
> Originally I intended to implement favorite channel lists in 1.4,
> but I guess I'll rather adopt some of these "ever so important"
> patches floating around, and then call it stable. Favorite channels
> will have to wait until 1.5.x.
>
> > In the end the question is do you really want to remove the channels
> > form channels.conf or would just removing the visibility within vdr be
> > enough?
>
> With the favorite channels lists I intend to implement, the user can
> select only those channels that s/he wants to see. The channels.conf file
> will still contain all channels ever detected.

So, if I am not wrong, this would be more about favorite filters?

As well as a defined list of favorite channels, a programmatic lists
like: all radio, no radio or only FTA would be great.  With quite a few
channels it gets quite hard to find what you are looking for, and this
would help!

Also, I like the sorting ability now in the channels menu.  I would like
one more option: sort by source, where source is the value defined in
sources.conf (eg the satellite names etc).  In my setup this would be
quite useful.  (Sort by provider is not quite good enough - most c-band
channels seem to have a provider of 'default provider' :) )