Re: Reducing clutter in channels.conf

Malcolm Caldwell wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-17 at 22:18 +0100, Iwan Davies wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:50:14 +0300, Lauri Tischler wrote:
>>

>>>Two ways of doing this would be nice.
>>>1) Menu selection for TVonly
>>>
>>>2) Using ca.conf file to define wanted channels,
>>>    only channels with defined caid are loaded, like:
>>>
>>>0x0..0xFF	Free To Air
>>># 0x100..0x1FF	Seca/Mediaguard
>>># 0x900..0x9FF	NDS/Videoguard
>>>0xB00..0xBFF	Conax
>>># 0xD00..0xDFF	CryptoWorks
>>># 0xE00..0xEFF	PowerVu
>>># 0x1800..0x18FF	Nagravision
>>>
>>>With ca.conf file above only FTA and Conax channels would be
>>>updated/collected to channels.conf

The ca.conf file will soon be completely oboslete and removed.

>>Certainly I think it would be a good idea on systems without any decryption
>>devices to be able to elect to have a channels.conf that contains only FTA
>>channels. For example, those of us who use DVB-S to receive BBC from Astra
>>2 find our channels.conf totally cluttered with the Sky Channels which are
>>encrypted using NDS Videocrypt for which there is absolutely no means of
>>(legitimate) decryption without a Sky Digibox. I would like an option in
>>setup.conf AddNewChannels=OnlyFTA.
>>
>>With regard to the perennial problem of garbage landing in channels.conf,
>>how about reworking the "add channels" functions so that instead of landing
>>directly in channels.conf new channels could first be sent to
>>"candidates.conf", from which the user could manually select which channels
>>to add permanently to channels.conf. A message could be displayed whenever
>>VDR starts to the effect that "X new channels available - press OK to
>>edit".
>>
>>Are these options that Klaus would consider adding?
>

> Two thoughts:
>
>      1. It might be useful just to have an option that says 'hide
>         un-watchable channels' for the channels display (eg menu 2)
>      2. Klaus has said that 1.4 will have a favorite channels option.
>         Perhaps this will do what is needed

Originally I intended to implement favorite channel lists in 1.4,
but I guess I'll rather adopt some of these "ever so important"
patches floating around, and then call it stable. Favorite channels
will have to wait until 1.5.x.

> In the end the question is do you really want to remove the channels
> form channels.conf or would just removing the visibility within vdr be
> enough?

With the favorite channels lists I intend to implement, the user can
select only those channels that s/he wants to see. The channels.conf file
will still contain all channels ever detected.

Klaus