Bug #6: Data stream broken => Emergency exit

pasi.juppo@xxxxxx(Pasi Juppo)  15.07.05 21:58

The bug is version independ.

>Bug:

>DVB driver + VDR: Data stream broken => Emergency exit
>-Timeshifting or booting computer up to the channel where data stream
>has gotten broken
>     => Emergency exit without possibility to change the channel to
>     working one. VDR also does not start automatically when using
>     runvdr script.

>Solution: if this happens then VDR should change the channel to
>something else (e.g. start from the first channel on the list and move
>forward until working one is found).

>Alternatively better solution would be not to mind about
>data stream broken problem and show static
>image (error image) and allow user to change the channel.

100% ACK!

Especially in an multicard system this behaviour breaks all
other concurrently recordings too!

Long time a ago, the DVB-firmware+drivers were so instable, unreliable
that a "data stream broken" always means:
Driver problem, nothing works any more, only reloading drivers
or rebooting solves the problem.
That's not true any more IMHO.
Driver and Firmware developer(s) had(ve) done a good job (thanks!)
so -at least here- data stream broken is meanwhile mostly caused
by bad weather or Highdefinition boradcasts.
AFAIK, rebooting my box, will (usually) not move away the clouds,
but switching away from the HD channel will help.

The handling of "data stream broken" occurs too if the
channel turns on it's encryption. That too leads to the
above race condition.

If it is impossible to "just ignore" data stzream broken,
the restart might use 4 levels:

- Reload the driver+firmware of the failing card only
- Reload drivers+firmware of all cards
- Reboot (warmstart) the box
- Coldstart the box by using poweroff and wake up after 10sec.

Rainer