Software suspend (was Re: boot times)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Roland Behme wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
>> Yes, I unload the DVB drivers before suspending and reload them after
>> resuming. Because of the firmware load of the DVB-USB-devices (after
>> firmware load they do a soft-reboot and appear as a "new" device) I had to
>> add a small delay of 3 seconds, that's what I meant by quirk.
>
> Thanks for sharing your experience. That's very interesting because
> I'm trying to improve the boot-time of my VDR for some months.
>
> Would a hibernated PC wake up by Wake-on-LAN or Wake-on-Ring?

If you have it enabled in your bios, yes.

Software Suspend2 is software based. It can but it does not need
ACPI-sleep-modes from the bios. It dumps the memory to the harddisk and
does a normal power-off.

When you boot the machine it loads the kernel normally and then
it restores the memory from the harddisk.

I'm using the filewriter, so I don't need to repair the swap-space
afterwards.

You just have to take care about incompatible modules (DVB) and services
(VDR, because it depends on DVB). The hibernate-script (which I would
highly recommend to manage software-suspend) is a very good help to work
around quirks.

Patrick.

--
   Mail: patrick.boettcher@xxxxxxx