vdr and YUV output

Andreas Holzhammer - Privat a ?crit :
> I'm in the course of converting my home cinema equipment from S-Video
> (Y/C) to YUV connection.
>
> Currently I use vdr with a full-featured card and s-video output through
> the j2 connector. What is the "recommended" way to move vdr to YUV
> output, as the FF cards are not capable of doing so? I don't want to
> shell out to much money, so RGB->YUV converters are probably out of the
> range.
>
> Would a cheap (PCI) ATI (Radeon 8500/9x00) card with an YUV adapter be
> suitable, and what picture quality is achievable through this setup? Are
> there any other options? The PC is a 1.3GHz celeron MediaPortal, so I
> can't spare to many CPU cycles on either X or software mpeg decoding.

Your Celeron have enough power for softdevice (if you don't plan on HDTV
before softdevice make use of hardware accelerated decoding).
Well supported card are Matrox, with DirectFB. Maybe they are capable of
YUV output.
If you plan to convert your equipment, why don't you go the RGB way ? Do
you already have a special output device with YUV input ?
In fact, a VGA card with an overlay is actually an YUV to RGB converter,
and a typical display device is in fact RGB by design (CRT, LCD, DLT,
Plasma). So why convert from YUV (MPEG2 stream) to RGB, then output in
YUV and convert back to RGB inside the display device ?

--
NH