Best Linux Distro for XDirectFB, DirectFB, softdevice? Slightly OT

anthony hornby a ?crit :
> Hi All,
> I am currently using fedora core 3 as my VDR box and it has served me
> reasonably well.
>
> However I have just switched from using Hauppauge Nova-T & Nova-S budget
> cards with a Hollywood+ card and DXR3 plugin to using a Matrox G550 and
> softdevice+DirectFB.
>
> I want a distro that has all the latest versions of plugins ( especially
> femon, streamdev, remote, mplayer, dvd, softdevice) and latest
> development releases of VDR + XDirectFB, DirectFB, DFB++ available as
> packages that can be easily added /removed.
>
> I would also like it to be fast and the base OS to be stable and easy to
> keep updated.
>
>>From what I have looked at so far Gentoo is looking pretty good.
>
> Any comments / suggestions ?

Debian has a lot of good things too :
* there are the e-tobi official VDR Debian packages : a whole lot of
plugins, with support for testing, unstable, etc. a package branch for
VDR 1.2.x and another for 1.3.x (vdr-devel) (http://www.e-tobi.net/vdr)
* there is also Darren Salt's repositorie geared toward vdr-xine/CLE266
(http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.linux.html)
* all that come with special packages for the Unichrome HW acceleration
(http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~glaweh/debian/)
* DirectFB come natively with the debian/ source directory, ready to
build packages (I didn't look for binary repositories)
* on the softdevice front, I have a debian/ source directory, but I
don't maintain binaries, and since softdevice is not autoconf-driven, I
have to modify the Makefile by hand before packaging, thus my package
doesn't fill everyone's needs
* I also use Christian Marillat's repository for stuff like ffmpeg-cvs
(ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat)

I could provide a source/binary repository for my Debain add-ons, but I
won't keep it up-to-date, provide binaries for anything else that sarge
(for the moment), etc. Thus no one would be able to rely on such a
repository. Maybe I will finally do that, if people just want to get
working Debian sarge binaries for softdevice and dependencies on EPIA
(quite limitative).

--
NH