Best Linux Distro for XDirectFB, DirectFB, softdevice? Slightly OT

Hi All,
I am currently using fedora core 3 as my VDR box and it has served me
reasonably well.

However I have just switched from using Hauppauge Nova-T & Nova-S budget
cards with a Hollywood+ card and DXR3 plugin to using a Matrox G550 and
softdevice+DirectFB.

I want a distro that has all the latest versions of plugins ( especially
femon, streamdev, remote, mplayer, dvd, softdevice) and latest
development releases of VDR + XDirectFB, DirectFB, DFB++ available as
packages that can be easily added /removed.

I would also like it to be fast and the base OS to be stable and easy to
keep updated.

>From what I have looked at so far Gentoo is looking pretty good.

Any comments / suggestions ?

--
Mr Anthony Hornby RHCE BIT ALIATEC
Library Systems & Technology Coordinator