Xine and 16:9

On Saturday 07 May 2005 14:29, Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Laurence Abbott may or may not have written...
> > Sometimes when I examine a recording with mplayer, it shows up as 704x576
> > instead of the normal PAL resolution of 720x576!
>
> Was that broadcast on ITV1?

The channels in question (or as far as I've seen) ar ITV2 amd ITV3.

> > (Not sure about my 'suspect' recording, though.) I thought everything was
> > broadcast at the same resolution?
>
> On Freeview, at least, there's a mixture of 720x576, 704x576 and 544x576.

Ahhhh...it all makes sense now. The weird recordings I had turn out to be
544x576! I presume this lower resolution is simply to reduce bandwidth and
fit more channels into a multiplex, and a decoder should look at the AFD to
see how to handle it, i.e. expand it horizontally, in this case.

Does the xine plugin handle such cases, i.e. scale it to the correct aspect
ratio? I've got scaling disabled in .xine/config to tet some other stuff at
the moment, so maybe it should just work as I'd expect it to! The OSD gets
squidged to the narrower width, too (although I thought the vdr post filter
mentioned in the README is meant to keep the OSD at the same size. Oddly, the
OSD stretches off the top and bottom as well, for these channels!

Cheers,

Laz