Recording HD with full featured device

Hi,

I was just wondering whether there is any sort of workaround if I
want to record (but not view or replay) HD recording on a VDR setup.
I use a full featured DVB-S device for output and it crashes if a HD
stream is passed to it.

I would like to use the HD recording for transcoding to xvid and and
I think it would be great if I could take advantage of my VDR box for
scheduling and recording rather than having to build a second box (or
buy another DVB-T card) especially since the HD stream is already
available to VDR on the same frequency while I'm watching and/or
recording the SD stream.

Would it be possible to mark channels as HD in the Channels menu and
then have an option to not send those channels or their recordings to
the output device? It would seem like a relatively easy patch but I'm
not confident in my ability to make it myself.

Regards,
Michal