Xine and 16:9

Hi,

Laz wrote:

>>>So adding "-r '4:3'" when running xine should do the trick.
>>
>>Yea, this seems to work, but not quite as expected though. For something
>>currently running on 3sat it works as expected but when I replay some of
>>my recordings i still have black bars.
>>
>>Could it be that some stations (pro 7, "Blade II") simply send 16:9
>>video encoded with black bars into a 4:3 format?
>
> I've just been replaying a recording which should have been 16:9 but was
> squashed horizontally to give a "4:3 within a 16:9 frame" type of thing,
> looking like some of the older stuff that the BBC broadcasts but this time
> the aspect ratio is wrong! I think the BBC broadcast everything as 16:9 but
> use AFD headers, or something, for programmes that should be 4:3. On my old
> system with a dxr3, I get a black box all of the way round (I think there are
> patches for the dxr3 to expand it back up but they only work for NTSC).
>
> Would it be worth having an aspect ratio config option for the xine plugin to
> force it one way or the other, if it gets it wrong?

You might have discovered that my current patches for xine-lib report
the AFD value for streams containing that information. The idea is to
have an AFD post plugin which crops out the relevant area.

And a further plugin might simulate AFD values for streams which don't
contain this information by detecting black borders on top/bottom and
left/right.

A first approach is my patch to xine's expand post plugin. Just give it
a try as documented in vdr-xine's MANUAL. The patch crops out 4:3
images, but also puts 16:9 images into a 4:3 frame (default
functionality of expand plugin).

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl