Xine and 16:9

Hi,

Philip Lawatsch wrote:

>>>So the question is if it is possible to automagically switch xine to
>>>output with a 16:9 pixel aspect ratio when such a stream is detected.
>>>(meaning no black bars on the "x11" window but of course a horizontally
>>>compressed picture). Then I could simply activate the widescreen mode on
>>>my tv which would not require zooming but simply displaying the picture
>>>with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
>>
>>Maybe it's as simple as setting a fixed aspect ratio for xine:
>>
>>  -r <mode>   Set aspect ratio of video output. Modes are:
>>              'auto', 'square', '4:3', 'anamorphic', 'dvb'.
>>
>>So adding "-r '4:3'" when running xine should do the trick.
>
> Yea, this seems to work, but not quite as expected though. For something
> currently running on 3sat it works as expected but when I replay some of
> my recordings i still have black bars.
>
> Could it be that some stations (pro 7, "Blade II") simply send 16:9
> video encoded with black bars into a 4:3 format?

You're right. I've experienced too, that Pro7 has moved it's logo into
the 16:9 area when they are broadcasting movies. But why do they not
signal a 16:9 broadcast?

Maybe they want to safe bandwith which is consumed by dolby sound on the
  other hand.

Isn't it interesting too, that ARD's and ZDF's current themes often look
like "colored" 4:3 frames for 16:9 content (e. g. sport reports on ARD's
Morgenmagazin and movie announcements on ZDF)?

Anyway, I've been playing for quite a while know with the idea of
cropping away the black bars of Pro7's 16:9 broadcasts. I've already
done the opposite (crop away the black bars 4:3 broadcasts in 16:9
frames, see post plugin expand's centre_cut_out_mode), so it doesn't
seem to be to complicated to get implemented. It's just a matter of time ;-)

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@xxxxxx