DXR3 broken audio frames / subtitles get lost

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 15:21 +0300, Jukka Tastula wrote:
> I keep getting these nasty _loud_ high pitch noises whenever broken data
> comes out of the dvb card. As it appears absolutely impossible to get so
> strong signal that there are never any errors in the stream I think it
> would be nice if the plugin could just ignore the broken audio frames
> instead of trying to decode them.
>
> I get the feeling this is actually a "feature" in libavcodec as I get the
> exact same behaviour when playing recordings with mplayer using the ffmp2
> codec. With mp3lib, however, everything is fine.
>
> This is definitely the number one on my list of annoying features and I
> don't understand why no one has ever brought it up before. Maybe because
> no one ever thought it would even be possible to fix? Have I missed
> something? Is there a patch for ffmpeg/libavcodec I forgot to put in?

Dunno about a fix, but I think I know what you mean, have heard those
every now and then myself.  I wonder if the ffmpeg folks are aware of it
or could help... anyway, patches accepted, as always :)

> The other bug I feel is worth mentioning is that the dvb subtitles
> disappear after a while (20 minutes maybe) when playing a recording. What
> makes it interesting is that this never seems to happen when watching a
> live broadcast (or maybe it just takes over 2 hours or something).
>
> This is really a minor annoyance, though. It doesn't happen all the time
> and when it does all it takes to fix it is to quit the recording and start
> it again. Two buttons to push. But still, bug is a bug.

I haven't noticed this, but it's very much possible that I haven't even
been watching any recordings that have DVB subtitles.  I wonder if this
has anything to do with a DXR3, or if the problem is elsewhere...?

> Other than that the GetSTC patch really does its job beautifully. The
> subtitles are always perfectly in sync even after seeking and long pauses.
> No more tweaking the timing manually and changing it all the time when
> playing a recording.

Same here.  You probably know, but that patch has been applied in the
vdr-dxr3-0-2 branch of the plugin's CVS for some time.  Kudos to Mikko
Tuumanen for the patch.