VDR automatic channel update and recording annoyance.

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 02:03:09 +0300
Rantanen Teemu <teemu.rantanen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> > Well, I can't quote a standard here, but I would say that plain
> > common sense dictates that the PIDs should be set correctly
> > (including language codes) _before_ a broadcast starts. After
> > all, they're not likely to change right in the middle of a movie,
> > are
> they?
>
> I wouldn't expect them to change in the middle of a movie, but some
> documentaries may have interviews and actual film footage in different
> languages. I haven't yet recorded any that actually change languages
> in the middle of a show, but just wondering if there is a limit what
> you can and what you cannot change...

I sent a question about this to Digita (the company responsible for
digitv-stuff in Finland) info address two weeks ago, but no response so
far. They did forward it to "Digita Antenni-info" (antenna info), so I'm
not holding my breath...

> When PMT_SCAN_TIMEOUT is set to the default 10 seconds there is a
> delay between event change and a PID change, as Lauri Tischler
> noticed.
>
> I changed the PMT_SCAN_TIMEOUT to 1. Now the delay is gone, and event
> change and possible PID change happen at the same second (based on
> syslog). My next recording from that broadcaster is only next Saturday
> (that I know of having a gap every time), but based on the syslog now
> and before I guess this would help.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that too! BTW, I get the gap during every
YLE language change (IIRC), even during live-tv... so at least testing
is simple :-)

Timo