Epia tv-out methods (was: EPIA SP + budget hardware mpeg2/4 acceleration?)

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 12:57 +0100, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Laurence Abbott a ?crit :
> > How easy was it to get your Epia M1000 going with hardware MPEG
> > decoding? Is it as simple as: boot, start vdr with xine plugins, start X
> > sending out the S-video connector, start xine fullscreen?
>
> I start X using the startx command as a special-purpose user, then it
> uses it's .xinitrc that run xine with all needed options (that's a
> standalone STB, so no regular X on this).
> Softdevice is a better alternative : no need to run a display client +
> the vdr server : just launch vdr and you're done. No HW MPEG2 decoding,
> though.

I now have an Epia MII-12000 and I'm in the process of setting it up.
I'm assuming that others on here have tried these things so I thought
I'd save a bit of time and share the answers with others who may be
interested (and Google didn't really give me any straight answers!).

As I understand it, there are two methods of getting accelerated MPEG
decoding with vdr:

1. Using X (as described above) with a kernel DRM module and a
(patched?) version of xfree86 or xorg. Use xine output plugin.

2. DirectFB in conjunction with a kernel module. Use softdevice output
plugin.

Is either of these preferable? I would have thought the second because
there is no overhead of running X as well but the post above says that
DirectFB wouldn't use hardware decoding. Is this still correct? Or is
DirectFB still very flakey? From what I've seen, there are about 3
different possible kernel modules, and the newest kernel patch I've
found is for 2.6.8 (and I can't find a DVB kernel patch for that old a
kernel!).

As I say, I have yet to try any of the above and was after some pointers
before I delve into the realms of testing different options!

;-)

Cheers,

Laz