OT: Best DVI Video Card for Xine

jori.hamalainen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Also Europeans sucked at defining 50Hz HDTV-modes (IMHO), not neccessarily you TV-set supports that. Major HDTV material is 60Hz or 24fps, and now for us it needs to be downconverted, because it was decided by 'idiots'. With PAL we got a larger resolution with 50Hz system compared to NTSC on similar video bandwidth. But with 720p/50 or 1080i/50 we do not gain anything. Just degraded quality. Ok, enough whining.

The principal reason Europe has 50Hz frame rates and the US has 60Hz, is
because these are the frequencies used by the respective countries mains
electricity generators.

Video being only 1Vp-p in level means only small (20mV or so), levels of
mains hum (due to ground loops etc.) are visible in the picture and by
keeping the frequencies the same, the hum bars appear stationary or very
slowly drifting through the picture and so much less intrusively visible.

Regards,

Richard