Re: Mistakes in messages of util-linux-2.40-rc2

V Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 04:48:09PM +0100, Benno Schulenberg napsal(a):
> >> #: misc-utils/lsblk.c:236
> >> msgid "write same max bytes, use <number> if --bytes is given"
> >
> > There are multiple messages ending with "use <number> if --bytes is given".
> >
> > I found the ", use" clause clumsy. Especially the reference to "<number>".
> > I know it refers to an argument of the --bytes option, but it can be difficult
> > for users to realize it. [...]
>
> If I read things correctly, the --bytes option takes no argument.
> So to me the msgid makes zero sense.  :/

You are right.

> > I propose rephrasing it as "write-same max bytes, respect --bytes format".
> > Or "write same max bytes, respects --bytes format".
>
> What does "same" refer to?

Same bytes.

The column simply prints a content of "write_same_max_bytes" file from sysfs.
That file is documented in Linux as:

    Some devices support a write same operation in which a
    single data block can be written to a range of several
    contiguous blocks on storage. This can be used to wipe areas on
    disk or to initialize drives in a RAID configuration.
    write_same_max_bytes indicates how many bytes can be written in
    a single write same command. If write_same_max_bytes is 0, write
    same is not supported by the device.

So write-same is a name of the operation.

-- Petr