Re: uuid and RFC4122

Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I originally wrote the uuid implementation in util-linux.  Originally,
    > it was first in e2fsprogs, and then later the library was transferred
    > to util-linux at least for most Linux distributions.  Technically
    > speaking, however, libuuid is still shipped in the e2fsprogs sourecs
    > and that's the version which is used by Android and some non-Linux
    > OS's including NetBSD and Darwin (MacOS may have forked the library,
    > though, so if I shipped updates in e2fsprogs how quickly it would get
    > picked up by Apple.)  Libuuid is mostly in maintenance mode, actually;
    > the sort of changes that have landed recently have been to support the
    > getrandom(2) system call.

Good to hear, thanks for the reply.

    > I'm not sure what the context is for this e-mail thread, or what
    > you're asking for in terms of an LGTM?

Read the document, or just the diff:

  https://author-tools.ietf.org/diff?doc_1=rfc4122&doc_2=draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis-02

    > Were you looking for comments
    > on draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis?

Email uuidrev@xxxxxxxx ... we are especially interested in whether we have
left out/obsoleted some use case that you presently have, whether the new
version types are useful to you.
Do you use or care about MD5 or SHA1 based UUIDs?
We have proposed using namespace based UUIDs for future hash methods.

    > Or were you hoping to see if folks
    > might be interested in implementing the new UUID versions in
    > draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis so the libuuid in Linux might support
    > those new variants?

No, I think that if you had a new use case/need, you'd have implemented
something already :-)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )