Re: uuid and RFC4122

On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 08:39:03PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 06:01:16PM +0100, Chris Hofstaedtler wrote:
> > Hello Michael,
> >
> > * Michael Richardson <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > Hi, thanks for your work on debian packages.
> > > I'm contacting you wearing my IETF uuidrev WG co-chair on.
> > >
> > > The https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/uuidrev/documents/ WG was chartered to
> > > update RFC4122 last summer, and we expect to start a WGLC on RFC4122bis in
> > > the next few weeks.  This is just a heads up for now.
> > >
> > > Some comments, even they are just "Looks Good to Me" from the util-linux
> > > folks would be awesome.
> >
> > Thanks for reaching out, but from the Debian side I think we have
> > little to comment on (mostly for lack of expertise).
> >
> > I've CC:ed the upstream mailing list, in the hope that upstream
> > util-linux folks have comments.
>
> Hi,
>
> I originally wrote the uuid implementation in util-linux.  Originally,
> it was first in e2fsprogs, and then later the library was transferred
> to util-linux at least for most Linux distributions.  Technically
> speaking, however, libuuid is still shipped in the e2fsprogs sourecs
> and that's the version which is used by Android and some non-Linux
> OS's including NetBSD and Darwin (MacOS may have forked the library,
> though, so if I shipped updates in e2fsprogs how quickly it would get
> picked up by Apple.)  Libuuid is mostly in maintenance mode, actually;
> the sort of changes that have landed recently have been to support the
> getrandom(2) system call.
>
> I'm not sure what the context is for this e-mail thread, or what
> you're asking for in terms of an LGTM?  Were you looking for comments
> on draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis?  Or were you hoping to see if folks
> might be interested in implementing the new UUID versions in
> draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis so the libuuid in Linux might support
> those new variants?

Note that libuuid in util-linux is actively maintained and improved.

It already supports MD5 and SHA1 based UUIDs, and I think we can add
the new versions v6 (Reordered Gregorian time-based), v7 (Unix Epoch
time-based) and v8 (custom SHA256/SHA512 based) in the near feature.

CC also to Michael, who worked on libuuid in last years; not sure
but maybe v6, which improves use in databases, could be attractive for
SAP, see:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uuidrev-rfc4122bis/

    Karel

--