Re: Consistency fixes in util-linux man pages

Hello Karel,

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 10:28, Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 10:24:59AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> > Hello Karel,
> >
> > Perhaps a little inspired by Helge's recent reports, I wonder about
> > submitting some wide-ranging patches to improve consistency across
> > the util-linux manual pages.
> >
> > As an example, there's quite a bit of variation in the order of
> > .SH sections in the manual pages (e.g., in the placement of the SEE
> > ALSO section). The pages would be more readable if the ordering was
> > more consistent.
> >
> > Would you entertain patches that made wide-ranging changes
> > that fixed that sort of thing (without changing page content?
>
> No problem,

Ok.

> but it would be nice to somehow document that is expected
> to avoid future changes in an opposite way. For example add some info
> to Documentation/howto-man-page.txt.

Agreed. For man-pages, I created man-pags(7) to document those
expectations. At least some of that should be applicable in othe
pojects, if they want.

> BTW, I'm not sure about man pages as ideal format to maintain
> documentation (because it's mostly about formatting than about
> content). I think about AsciiDoc or so in future. What do you think
> about this idea?

I'm not too knowledgeable in AsciiDc, but my impression is that it's
too limited in terms of its formatting opinions.

If I did move man-pages, the most likely candidate would probably be
Sphinx, as is nowadays used in the kernel docs. But, that would
require converting a thousand pages or so, and  I have not so far had
the stomach for that. Of course, you have a rather smaller set of
pages to deal with, so a conversion step sould be more easily
entertained.

Thanks,

Michael

--