Re: Consistency fixes in util-linux man pages

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 10:24:59AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> Hello Karel,
>
> Perhaps a little inspired by Helge's recent reports, I wonder about
> submitting some wide-ranging patches to improve consistency across
> the util-linux manual pages.
>
> As an example, there's quite a bit of variation in the order of
> .SH sections in the manual pages (e.g., in the placement of the SEE
> ALSO section). The pages would be more readable if the ordering was
> more consistent.
>
> Would you entertain patches that made wide-ranging changes
> that fixed that sort of thing (without changing page content?

No problem, but it would be nice to somehow document that is expected
to avoid future changes in an opposite way. For example add some info
to Documentation/howto-man-page.txt.

BTW, I'm not sure about man pages as ideal format to maintain
documentation (because it's mostly about formatting than about
content). I think about AsciiDoc or so in future. What do you think
about this idea?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>