Re: terminal-colors.d(5) clarifications needed

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 09:26:52AM +0200, Lubomir Rintel wrote:
> Some misunderstanding here. Perhaps I was not too clear -- I'll try to
> rephrase. Suppose I have both "utilname.type" and
> "utilname@xxxxxxxxxxxxx":
>
> utilname.type:
>
> error 1;1
> warning 2;2
>
> utilname@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
>
> warning 3;3
>
> What is the effective result?
>
> Is it (overriding behavior):
>
> warning 3;3

This is the result.

> Or (merging behavior):
>
> error 1;1
> warning 3;3

Only one file is open according to score calculated from the file name.
The winner is used for everything, no merging at all.

> > > 4.) Of what use would "Escape sequences" in ansi-sequence be? We
> > > don't
> > >     accept that.
> >
> > This is extension based on coreutils. IMHO it's not important.
>
> I it correct to say that only ANSI terminals are actually supported?

Yes.

> Are there even terminals that use coloring in a way that's incompatible
> with ANSI escape sequences?

We use only

    ncolors = tigetnum("colors");

and if ncolors <= 2 then all the stuff is disabled for the terminal.

> I'm asking because the fact that colors are represented as color codes
> without the leading escape suggests that either the application somehow

 12;34

is internally converted to "\033[12;34m". It's only user friendly way
how to write the codes to the file. The result is always \033[...

> figures out the correct escape (does termcap/terminfo know that?) or
> just slaps in ESC [ assuming an ANSI terminal.

Frankly, it would be possible to be more smart with the codes (like
coretils, see below), but I have doubts it's important enough... we do
not have any bug report in last 5 years, so I don't care ;-)

> You also seem to just translate the "Color names" to ANSI escapes.

Yes.

> If it's indeed true, then I guess you could just drop the "Escape
> sequences" paragraph, because it doesn't make any sense on ANSI
> terminals. Or does it?

It allows to specify control chars

# echo "example \n" > /etc/terminal-colors.d/foo.scheme
# ./test_colors --name foo --color-scheme example

Hello World!
#

... not sure how usable it's, but it was suggested to be more
compatible with coreutils dir_colors, so we support it.

Note that dir_colors from coreutils also supports non-ANSI as they
have LEFTCODE and RIGHTCODE setting to overwrite begin and end of the
sequence, so you can manually set something else than "\033[" and "m".

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com