Re: versioning

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 03:00:14PM -0400, J William Piggott wrote:

> > I think "git pull" does not always give you all the tags. In doubt I
> > do explicitly "git fetch --tag remote-name".  Maybe "git pull" only
> > pulls tags if remote-name == origin, I still don't got the full logic.
>
> Using 'git pull' against master fetched the tags up through v2.29. Then
> it stopped.
>
> git-pull(1): By default, tags that point at objects that are downloaded
> from the remote repository are fetched and stored locally.
>
> If a tag is created from the master branch, then (with the default
> configuration) pulling the master branch will pull the tag as well.
>
> I think perhaps Karel changed his bugfix release workflow and started
> creating them from a working branch.

I always use master branch.

$ git branch --contains  v2.30-rc1
* master

> I say that because the
> v2.30-ReleaseNotes file never hit my local repo, the master branch,
> until May 16th. That is why I submitted my patch for it as a simple diff
> instead of a git format-patch.

https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/blob/master/Documentation/releases/v2.30-ReleaseNotes
                                            ^^^^^^

as well as on kernel.org:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/util-linux/util-linux.git/tag/?h=v2.30-rc1

> It seems to me that the working branch should be merged into master
> first, and then create the tag, tarball, etc. from master.  That way
> pulling master will fetch the release tags. That should be expected
> behavior.
>
> IMO, creating releases from an ephemeral branch, or anything other than
> master, is asking for headaches.

Maybe you need 'git clean -xdf' before 'git pull' or so.

> >> I push to the both repos in the same time
> >> $ git push; git push github master; git push --tags; git push github --tags
>
> I think it would be better to:
>
> git push --follow-tags; git push --follow-tags github master

$ git push --follow-tags; git push --follow-tags github master
Everything up-to-date
Everything up-to-date

> This would be a good crosscheck to know that the release tags were
> created against master and not some other branch.
>
> Also, one day you may want to have some private tags and --tags will
> push everything.  Whereas, --follow-tags will only push tags associated
> with what is being pushed, that is, the master branch.

OK.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>