Re: versioning

On Wednesday 17 May 2017, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Karel Zak wrote:
> >   Hi,
> >
> >   Sami has good point on IRC... do we really want to continue with
> > the current versioning schema? Now we use:
> >
> >      v2.xx[.y]
> >
> >   I don't expect v3 or v4, so the prefix v2 does not provide any
> >   information... and the 'xx' ('30' now) is already large number.
> >
> >   Suggestions:
> >
> >   1) do nothing; nobody cares and v2.31 looks good
> >
> >   2) remove '2' from the version:
> >
> >          major release:  v31
> >          update release: v31.1
> >

> >   3) <your suggestion>?
>
> In managing about 1000 packages, I see a lot of different version
> numbering.   The vast majority of packages use (my terminology)
> major.minor.point for numbering.

> The major number really should only
> be increased when there are incompatibilities introduced in a package
> update.

I agree, so I'd also vote for keeping the current version scheme. But we
could talk about some (theoretically) incompatible clean-up changes to
justify v3.1.

I'm not talking about making things incompatible just to be incompatible
but about ugly, outdated ifdefs which probably nobody needs anymore but
also nobody would touch unless we actively review this.

One thing already mentioned in this thread was to drop any code and
documention regarding kernel < 2.6  (maybe even <2.6.32 if it has any
benefits).

Maybe others have even more ideas, e.g. officially requiring
POSIX.1-2008  or newer to cleanup include/c.h, configure.ac, etc..

The benfit would be not only to have a smaller minor version but
hopefully to get a few well defined requirements for UL in
Documentation/ directory, which will not change until v4.

cu,
Rudi