Re: v2.29 plan: kill mtab

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 07:33:08PM -0700, Robby Workman wrote:
> > This discussion is really not about init, but about mtab that is
> > broken by design.
>
> Okay, then how about this? Our current use of /etc/mtab works well

btw, mount(8) supports /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts symlink for 20
years...

> for us, and as far as I'm aware, we've experienced absolutely
> none of this "[breakage] by design" - as such, we'd be grealy
> appreciative if the option remains to continue using it.

We're trying to be friendly to all Linux users ...so we're going to
#ifdef mtab stuff and keep --enable-libmount-support-mtab there for
the next years to keep you happy.

Maybe one day you will enter wonderful 21 century where we have
Linux namespaces, containers, bind mounts, mount move operation,
chroots, btrfs, NFS and another cool stuff... and then you will see
that there is a fundamental difference between "what kernel thinks
about VFS" and "how users call mount(8)".

Fair enough?

   Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>