Re: Trying to avoid incompatability on a mount enhancement

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:22:33AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 10:02:50PM +0000, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've been thinking about adding a feature to Busybox mount, but I'd
> > like to check on options that are already claimed in util-linux so I
> > don't cause a major incompatability.
> >
> > The feature I'm thinking about is roughly analogous to "mkdir -p" or
> > "cpio -d":
> > it creates the mountpoints if needed.
>
>  man mount:
>
>  x-mount.mkdir[=mode]
>
>         Allow  to  make  a target directory (mountpoint).  The
>         optional argument mode specifies the filesystem access mode
>         used for mkdir(2) in octal notation.   The default  mode  is
>         0755.  This functionality is supported only for root users.
>

>  ... so:
>
>         mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/foo -o x-mount.mkdir

Thank you for responding.
I read about that some time after I sent the email; now comes the question
of whether Busybox will accept it.

I've already gotten a comment to the effect that x-mount.mkdir is "ugly"
(no clarifications provided), and that it's lacking the ability to set
owner/group for the mountpoint.
(The individual who opposes this is arguing in favor of adding a similar
but more expanded capability to mdev, the Busybox hotplugger.)

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham