Re: Weird behaviour with lsblk and freshly created loop device

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 06:45:58PM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > That's question, now (because it's not hardcoded to lsblk) everyone is
> > able to control this behavior, all you need is to add 'udevadm settle'
> > to your use-case.
>
> The question is more why let the user do that ?

 because we're talking about small, simple command line util, not
 about complex high-level UI

> If lsblk reports the partitions, shouldn't it do that only when it's
> sure to fully have retrieve the partition's metadata ?

 if you do not have exclusive access to the device then you cannot be
 sure at all. All is asynchronous...

> BTW, is the user supposed to know that lsblk relies on udev or is this
> implementation detail ?

 This is very generic system feature, for example if you want to mount
 a device by /dev/disk/by-* symlinks then nowhere is guarantee that
 mount(8) is not faster than udev+blkid, etc.

 Yes, we can add "udevadm settle" functionality into all system utils,
 but it will increase complexity and degrade performance. So from my
 point of view it seems better to explain the problem in man page,
 keep lsblk simple and stupid and assume that users who really care
 will use "udevadm settle".

 (The another disadvantage is that libudev is not able to wait for
  specific device, it waits for all active event.)

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com