Re: global fdisk colors disable

On 2014-01-15 18:11 (GMT+0100) Karel Zak composed:

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:10:19AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

Orange on a 16 color display doesn't look much different than red. Both
contrast poorly unless the background is white, detracting from any value as
warning intended by those color choices.

  so your suggestion is to disable the colors at all for all Linux boxes by
  default?

I've been using white on blue text modes for nearly 3 decades, ever since I learned to use ansi to set screen colors in DOS 3, as I find white on black rather unpleasant to need to use more than occasionally.

Probably better to have some option for a user or admin to force the ttys into 2 or 4 color mode regardless whether the system is capable of or happiest with 8, 15, 16, 24 or more.

  I understand your point of view, but I'd like to use default that is
  usable to majority of the Linux users.

That is a typical majority rule effect. The problem is those with poorer than average vision by definition are both a minority and handicapped. From that it apparently follows that making it more difficult for the minority already handicapped must be OK because the majority of average or better people might enjoy some colors that may or may not make sense or provide real enhancement.

One reason I use the ttys is for comfort, a pleasant environment where
legibility is maximized, in part by big bold text, in part by lack of
distraction from other windows and widgets, in other part by using only the
two colors of my choice. In that environment I don't want or need to be
"warned" by colors I can barely see.

  I understand.. it would be nice to have a one place to disable/enable
  colors for all terminal utils, maybe something like

     /etc/terminal-colors.d/[<utilname>.]disable

  I'm going to resolve the problem for the next v2.25. Thanks!

Thank you! This sounds like it should be a good option for many.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/