Re: What about a premount/postumount option for mount?

On 28.02.2012 14:59, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 01:30:16PM +0100, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> > For the umount thing, i think i could use inotify and wait for the
> > "umount"-event as inotify fortunately doesn't prevent umount, but that
>
>  See:
>  http://karelzak.blogspot.com/2011/12/monitor-list-of-currently-mounted.html
>
> > works a little against the spirit of autofs, as it only would work once
> > (at least in the case of setup by udev).
> >
> > All "solutions" taste a little strange for me, the udev-solution mainly
> > because i would have a dm-crypt "laying" around which may or may not be
>
>  It's usually bad idea to call mount (or so) from udev rules (and it's
>  often topic in udev mailing list).

My "ideal" setup is actually the one i have running for loop-aes.

For "autofs"ability i needed something discoverable.
An encrypted loop-aes disc, by itself, has nothing discoverable except
maybe the disc-serial-number. But an USB-enclosure can kill that too.

So i decided leave 4k at the beginne of each disc and install a
dummy-mbr and use the "disk signature" to identify each HDD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

For all my discs i put a 4 byte "name" string into that field.
I then added a udev-script that checks for the signature and adds a
symlink in /dev/disk/by<whatever>/<signature> if a valid signature is
found.

Then i can use that /dev/disk/by... symlink in autofs and the circle
closes because the patched mount-command for loop-aes does the setup of
the encryption-loop-device transparently.

For dm-crypt i'm currently missing the "transparent" setup/tear-down of
the dm-crypt device.

Lastly, and not really relevant here, i have a perl-script running in a
'screen' that get 'kill -HUP'ed by the same udev-script and checks if
there are files in the tmp-dir for the HDD, copies the files, (umount),
verifys the files, updates the inventory and finaly umounts a last time.

So in the end all i have to do is connect a disc, switch it on, wait
till everything is done and switch it off.

(In the past i also had a big USB-Tree of Power-Plugs and
USB-HDD-Enclosures. Back then i only needed to start the distribution
script. Which, in a loop, checked which disc had files to be copied to,
switched the discs on waited for the files to be copied and switched the
disc off ... But that USB-Tree got unstable somewhere around 40 discs,
which meant i about 10 USB-Power-Plugs (4 switches each) and something
around 16 4-Port USB-Hubs when i finally gave up that experiment.)

Bis denn