Re: getting a modern `more`

Sami Kerola wrote:
On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 00:12, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone still use 'more'?  The only thing needed is a symlink to 'less':
http://www.greenwoodsoftware.com/less/

I do.

Are there any distros that don't provide 'less' by default?

What value added does 'more' provide?

It does not clear screen when 'q' is pressed, which is the main reason
I sometime choose to use more.

"COMPATIBILITY WITH MORE
  If  the  environment  variable LESS_IS_MORE is set to 1, or if the
  program is invoked via a file link named "more", less behaves
  (mostly) in  conformance  with  the  POSIX "more" command
  specification."

I'd think development time would be
better used elsewhere.  To me, 'more' was developed in the era of paper
terminals (e.g. Teletype) and it is time to retire it.

I appreciate highly when someone volunteers to maintain & develop
something superficially old and obsolete. Earlier one might have said
that why bother to make vi better now when emacs is so great, which
lead eventually to vim. Who knows how much better more might be in
future in comparison to less if people who like it have change of
making it such.

You have a point here, but I would certainly suggest that the volunteer start with the most robust current software. Of course there is nothing wrong with reviewing the older code for missing features.

  -- Bruce