Re: long-standing bug regarding cfdisk: can't input non-ascii characters from keyboard

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:19:57AM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Jorge wrote:
> > I'm suscribing just to make a bug report about cfdisk. I hope that's ok.

 Yes, thanks.

> > When you want to write changes to disk you're asked for a confirmation,
> > like this one:
> >
> >   Are you sure you want to write the partition table to disk? (yes or
> > no)
> >
> > There is no problem on the English version, but when you launch the
> > program in Spanish you get this:
> >
> >   ¿Está seguro de que desea escribir la tabla de particiones en el
> > disco?
> >      (sí o no):
> >
> > You can't type the "í" character. Trying to do so will end in no input
> > at all. That is, typing in my keyboard "´" then "i" leads to nothing. So
> > you can't write changes to disk, and you must launch the program in
> > English for it to operate.

 Fixed, commit 5f94ca33cf7772e0c36b5b3e5b1cf1ab01f60180.

> > The same happens in Catalonian language, and probably another languages
> > as well, as stated on this bug at Launchpad:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/util-linux/+bug/205327
> >
> > One simple workaround arised some years ago was changing the

 You can use "yes" and "no" independently on the current locales. The
 code always supports translated and English version:

    if (strcasecmp(response, _("yes")) == 0 ||
        strcasecmp(response, "yes") == 0))

> Ok, it's a pity that we can't use correct Spanish here, but rule #1
> says "it has to work", so I have changed the translation.
>
> Try this if you want to test it:
>
> wget http://translationproject.org/PO-files/es/util-linux-ng-2.17.1-rc1.es.po
> msgfmt util-linux-ng-2.17.1-rc1.es.po
> mv messages.mo /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/util-linux-ng.mo

 This is unnecessary, cfdisk is able to read wide characters from
 keyboard now.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>