Re: Howto for properly partitioning new drives with 4096 byte sectors (like Western Digital Advanced Format EARS drives)

Aleksander> I did some extensive experiments and benchmarks, and the
Aleksander> conclusion is that the drive actually uses 4 kB sectors
Aleksander> internally, although it doesn't report that fact to the
Aleksander> outside world.

That's really lame!  You should ask for a firmware update.

For a while now I've been lobbying for SMART metrics we could query to
get an idea of aligned vs. misaligned requests submitted to a drive.
That would be handy in a situation like this.

Unfortunately the storage industry is glacially slow.  As witnessed by
the fact that the 4KB sector transition was supposed to be complete for
the release of Windows Vista.  And now we're talking 2012 or so...

Aleksander> These results clearly indicate that the drive has a sweet
Aleksander> spot with partition starts aligned to sectors divisible by
Aleksander> 8: performance on partitions starting at sectors 40, 48, 56,
Aleksander> 64 is roughly 5.5 times better that on all others.

Aleksander> This is a bit puzzling - 5.5 x faster is more that one would
Aleksander> expect from a simple read-modify-write issue, isn't it? I've
Aleksander> read about performance differences of 2:1, not 5.5:1.

It really depends on the size of the I/O.  You pay a penalty at the
first and last partial 4KB block.  The penalty is caused by rotational
latency.  The drive first has to seek to read the block and then wait
for the same spot to come back under the head so it can write it.  IOW,
the penalty depends highly on the rpm.  I assume they read ahead the
runt so the effect of that may be less pronounced.

Aleksander> So for any other owners of WD EARS drives, if these don't
Aleksander> report physical 4096-byte sectors to you, don't believe them
Aleksander> and align your partitions at the aforementioned sectors (a
Aleksander> generally good idea is to run the postmark benchark to
Aleksander> compare performance on aligned and non-aligned partitions).

Just last week we were discussing aligning everything on a 4KB boundary
by default.  The fact that you have a rogue production drive is
disconcerting but it helps emphasize the value of a new default.