Re: Slow USB storage device?

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:33, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > However, the real problem is that you didn't fix the whole-disk case:

That needs some work, and logic which isn't fully ready today. We have
to fix the wrongly created kernel partitions sometimes, because the
in-kernel partition-table parser is too dumb and does not know
metadata which invalidates any partition table setup, like in the
simplest case it creates (broken) partitions for the first disk of a
raid stripe, and so on. More problematic are BIOS raid setups. We need
to skip very tiny devices here too, but we need a bit more than a
simple udev rule to do that.

>>  Yes, ignore this problem for now. The ideal solution is not to call
>>  blkid for the whole disk. We have to resolve this problem.
>
> So in the meantime, what's a good rule to disable it on a per-machine
> basis?

If you do not need to support auto-mounting of unpartitioned media,
like filesystems directly applied to the disk, and do not need RAID
auto-assembly, the probing can be skipped by adding another match:
  ENV{DEVTYPE}=="partition",
to the line:
  KERNEL!="sr*", IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p $tempnode"
in:
  /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules

This logic should be fixed properly soon.

Thanks,
Kay