Re: [Patch] script: Implement a --ts-output and --ts-script options. -v3

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 09:50:27AM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 02:27:24AM -0500, Robin Holt wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 03:16:28PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> > >
> > >  Hi Robin,

> > >  I spent a moment with the patch, and I found few problems:
> > >
> > >  - the applications that prepare output according to the terminal size
> > >    (e.g. ps aux) will produce too long lines. It seems that workaround
> > >    is to change size (-30 columns) of the slave terminal by TIOCSWINSZ.
> > >
> > >  - interactive mode (without -c) does not work properly
> > >
> > > Script started, file is typescript
> > >     0.000008 (    0.000008)|
> > > nb:~$ date
> > >     2.602039 (    0.272087)| Mon Jul 20 14:55:44 CEST 2009
> > >     2.605886 (    0.003847)|
> > > nb:~$ exit
> > > Script done, file is typescript
> > >
> > >    I guess we expect the timestamps and prompt ("nb:~$") on the same line.
> > >
> > >  And finally, the code in the patch could be refactored (see my attempt
> > >  below).
> > >
> > >  Sorry, but from my point of view the patch still looks like a hack. Not
> > >  sure if we really need it.
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming that this patch is dead entirely?
>
>  I'm sorry, but you are correct.

To paraphrase Voltaire, I believe you have let the perfect be the enemy
of the good.

This functionality of this patch _has_already_ shown benefit to its users.
If it were made a standard part of script, it could provide benefit
to others.

The first of the two issues you point out is a minor issue compared to
the benefit and only affects the people which expect something adding
to their output to not affect the output.  If that is an issue for them,
they can fix the problem when they are affected by it.

Again, this is an issue which has not affected us.  If it affects others,
they have the option to fix the problem for themselves or stop using
timestamps.

Please reconsider this patch.  It has no negative impact if the user does
not specify the options.  It does provide a benefit for those that do.

Thank you for your consideration,
Robin Holt