Re: More fdisk tests

On 08/11/2009 08:54 AM, Karel Zak wrote:
  See arbitrary regression test, it's almost always a check for a diff
  between old and new output. We use it for filesystems detection (and
  I will use it or PT parsing too). It might not be perfect, but...

  Note that we still need to test the output from fdisk(s) for
  regressions -- it's part of our API. Many people use the outputs in
  their scripts.
Keeping outputs exactly "as is" can be a real challenge, especially if you expect to keep things like whitespace, spacing, etc.

Also, I believe some kind of cleanup of the interface sometime unspecified in the future, especially of the "fdisk" utility (not [cs]fdisk) will be more or less necessary, and keeping backwards compatibility would only make sense in understanding exactly the same input sequences, not producing exactly the same output, especially in the interactive parts. The current UI may be notoriously known by everyone and unchanged for a decade, but still is rather crazy and adding any more options may gradually become a hell.
  Well, if you really want to use checksums and you know offset and
  size of random bytes you can remove it from the image by sed (or so)
  and then count the checksum.
It seems a bit hardcore to do in scripts, but it's definitely a way if everything else fails. ;)

Also, I transcended from the blackbox approach and started looking for the exact nondeterministic spots in other-than-dos label code which broke my toys previously. Alas, it seems that sunlabel has mysteriously become deterministic. But the message here is that the next time I bump into such a thing, I'll see if adding an option which allows setting of the conflicting parameter is easilly possible.

Zdenek