More fdisk tests

Hi,

Those were some seriously busy weeks and I only had limited time for the fdisk rewrite thing. Despite my idleness, I've been toying with the ideas of making some more tests for fdisk prior to more patches submission, using the same logic as the current (only) test for doslabel (ie. sequence of binary image md5's after executing an edit command), except this time for other labels, checking at least basic things like creation/deletion of partitions.

Unfortunately with other labels there's a major obstacle. In fact the dos labels have the same obstacle: randomly generated partition table ID. Every time one creates an empty dos label, the disk image is (almost) unique. With dos labels, there's an advanced option (x,i,<new id>) which allows setting the id explicitly working around this issue. With the other labels, there is no such thing.

Also, the extreme user hostility of the interface makes me wonder if someone ever uses fdisk to create anything else than dos labels. Since each label basically has its own menu printing and handling functions, most of the options are actually either duplicated or not supported by some labels (which makes sense for some options, but not all of them). Also, some options seem rather misplaced. For example to create an IRIX label, one has to create a dos label first, go to advanced options and there it is. No other advanced options contain it. Or basic, for that matter. (In fact, I suspect some parts of the obscure label code being dysfunctional and noone noticing anyway, because it is not really practically usable.)

So back to the topic, more tests. Of course, one could always just check the "relevant" parts of the binary images created by fdisk, but that's a rather obscure way, as what parts are relevant strongly depends on the label type, and may even depend on the contents of the partition table. So making tests know which parts are relevant kind of smells like making new fdisk to test old fdisk. Unless someone has an idea how to sanely work around the issue with randomized parts of the image, without doing major code changes to support tests, I'm feeling more and more like skipping any tests of the other labels, and going straight for some major changes of the code.

It's probably also worth mentioning that unit tests here make even less sense, as the internal interfaces are just plain ugly, and most tests for the current code would have to be rewritten from scratch, testing virtually nothing in terms of regressions.

After some code unification, all of those tests could be definitely easier to make, but before it, I don't know.

Zdenek