Re: Bug: mount: "user" mounts broken when /etc/mtab is a symlink

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:17:18PM +0200, Karel Zak wrote:

>  Hi Roger,
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 02:26:51PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > This information should be recorded in /proc/mounts now that this
> > information can be passed to mount(2).
>
>  really?

Ah, it's missing some context from where the discussion originally
started.  This is referring to MS_BIND mountflags no longer being
ignored.

>  I see in the bug report:
>
>    > With linux >= 2.6.26, /proc/mounts contains all of the information in
>    > /etc/mtab, plus more.  The mount system call can now pass all of the
>    > mount options to the kernel, so no information is missing in /proc/mounts.
>
>  that's strange. I'd like to see kernel patch which implements
>  support for userspace specific mount options.

Sorry, that's again missing context, and related to MS_BIND.  At the
time of writing, we were under the impression that this was the only
remaining missing piece.  However, we discovered with user= and
(now fixed) loopback issues subsequently.

>    > Yes.  For all the reasons given in the report.  Additionally,
>    > it fixes a *lot* of bugs in mount
>
>  which bugs? I don't remember any bug report.

This is WRT Debian bug reports
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=mount;dist=unstable).
It may be the case that the maintainer has neglected to forward them
to yourselves (I'm not in any way responsible for util-linux in
Debian myself).  These bugs are all related to mtab becoming out of
synch with the true mount state in /proc/mounts, or other failures.

Note that some of these are old, and may well be fixed now.  There
may also be other mtab-related bugs; these are the obvious ones with
"mtab" in the bug title.  There are others I omitted which are
supposed to be fixed with newer releases than used when reported.

>  Currently, we have two userspace mount options, user= and uhelper=.
>  The uhelper= is used by HAL/DeviceKit (see umount man page).
>
>  The /proc/mounts file does not properly store information about bind
>  mounts -- this is reason why we have /proc/self/mountinfo.
>
>  My plan is to support systems without /etc/mtab and use
>  /proc/self/mountinfo in util-linux-ng 2.{17,18} (September/October
>  2009 or so...).

Cool.  Just to clarify: at this point, barring any unforseen bugs,
we can delete /etc/mtab and running with just /proc will be a
valid supported configuration?

What will the minimum supported kernel version for such a configuration
be (with mountinfo)?

Will support for a writable mtab be removed at some future point?

Thanks,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh