Bug: mount: "user" mounts broken when /etc/mtab is a symlink

Hi folks,

[I'm not subscribed to a list; a CC would be appreciated, thanks.]

When /etc/mtab is a symlink to /proc/mounts, the "user" option in
/etc/fstab is broken due to not recording the user=foo mount option
in /proc/mounts:

% grep cdrom /etc/fstab
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
% mount /media/cdrom0
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
% umount /media/cdrom0
umount: only root can unmount /dev/scd0 from /media/cdrom

[with /etc/mtab as a regular file]
% grep cdrom /etc/mtab /proc/mounts
/etc/mtab:/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=rleigh 0 0
/proc/mounts:/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,utf8 0 0

As you can see, /proc/mounts does not contain a user=rleigh option,
and as a result I'm not permitted to umount /media/cdrom0 when
/etc/mtab is a symlink.

This information should be recorded in /proc/mounts now that this
information can be passed to mount(2).

The same goes for any other information currently only saved in
/etc/mtab.  In Debian, we will shortly be switching to having
/etc/mtab being a symlink to /proc/mounts:
The only other issue I saw was loop devices not being automatically
freed (discussed in the link above), but this appears to be working
with the current util-linux-ng.  Are there any other known bugs in
mount exposed when /etc/mtab is a symlink?

Regards,
Roger Leigh

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh